The elegant Runge House was constructed in 1915 as the home of Luis Herman and Anita Foche Runge and their five children. Designed by the New York architectural firm Crow, Lewis & Wickenhoefer and built in an eclectic Mediterranean Revival style, the distinctive residence is an architectural blending of French, Italian and Spanish styles that reflect the Runge family's international interest. In 1845, Henry Runge arrived in Texas from Germany where he established the first private unincorporated bank in Texas. He moved his family to Galveston in 1866 where he operated a business under the name Kaufmann and Runge, now known as the Stewart Title located on Market and 22nd Street, with major interest in shipping, banking, and merchandising. Elizabeth Runge, the granddaughter of Henry, sold her home of 71 years to the University of Texas Medical Branch which was restored for the president of the university. It has been privately owned since 2006.